Today I have something really nice — an effortless and delicious comfort food. The recipe is Restaurant Style Shahi Kaju Curry aka Cashew Curry. This is another delicacy from Indian cuisine. The recipe is also called ‘Kaju Butter Masala’. A perfect side dish for a vegetarian meal.
Food Is The Ingredients That Binds Us Together.
This simple, easy and classic Shahi Kaju Curry (Cashew Curry) is everything you need on a cool summer evening. Cool summer evening?
Yes, the kind of evenings we are having here these days can be called as cool evenings. The days are summery and the evenings are cool. And when you feel a cool breeze then you crave for some comfort food. Well, that’s what I do at least.
It’s easy, healthy, packed with almost everyone’s favorite nut ‘Cashew nut’. And you don’t need any other ingredients for the base of this curry — only cashews are needed to create the magic.
There are two versions of this Kaju masala curry. Tomato-based red gravy or white khoya based gravy. Today I am sharing the one which is made with tomato-based gravy.
Some important tips for making this Shahi Kaju Curry:
- To get the restaurant style taste, I added kitchen king masala to the sauce. Yes, this masala creates an enormous difference.
- And the second thing which shines the flavor is the Kasuri Methi.
- I used whole cashews for this recipe, but you can also use broken cashews.
- To make it shahi, I am using roasted cashews, but you can also add cashews without roasting them.
- To give it a rich texture, I added a teaspoon of ghee at the end, but that is completely optional. However, if you cannot compromise on taste like me, then adding roasted cashews and ghee is a good idea.
You can simply serve this curry with steamed rice, naan, tandoori roti, paratha, Chapati or any other flatbread of your taste.
First We Eat Then We Do Everything Else.
|? Prep time||? Cook time||? Total time|
|☶ Category||♨ Cuisine||☺ Serves|
For Roasting Cashews:
• Cashew Nuts / Kaju – 1 Cup
• Ghee Or Oil – 1 Tbsp
• Whole Spices:
• Bay Leaf – 1
• Cloves – 4
• Cinnamon Stick – 1 Inch
• Dried Red Chili – 1
• Star Anise – 1
• Black Cardamom – 1
• Peppercorns / Kali Mirch – 4
• Oil – 2 Tbsp
• Boiled Onion Paste – 1/2 Cup
• Ginger-Garlic Paste – 2 Tbsp
• Freshly Pureed Tomatoes – 1 Cup
• Ginger Chopped Roughly – ½ Inch
• Green Chilies Chopped Roughly – 2 Small
• Kitchen King Masala – 1 Tbsp
• Red Chili Powder – 1 Tsp
• Turmeric Powder – 1/2 Tsp
• Coriander Powder – 1 Tsp
• Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
• Ground Cashew – 4 Tbsp
• Water – 1/2 Cup Or More If Required
• Salt To Taste
• Sugar – 1 Tsp
• Ghee – 1 Tsp
• Crushed Kasoori Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) – 1 ½ Tbsp
• Cashew Cream Or Fresh Cream – ¼ Cup + 1 Tbsp For Garnish (You Can Also Use Fresh Milk Cream Aka ‘Malai’)
• Cilantro / Coriander Leaves, Chopped – 1 Tbsp
1. Heat 1 tbsp of ghee or oil in a pan. Add cashews and roast them on medium heat till they are golden brown in color.
2. string continuously till it becomes nice golden brown.
3. Remove them to a bowl and set aside.
How to make shahi Kaju curry:
1. Now in the same pan, add 2 tbsp oil or ghee.
2. Once the oil is hot enough, add bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon stick, dried red chili, star anise, black cardamom, peppercorns and sauté for few seconds.
3. Then add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
4. Add onion paste and stir well.
5. Saute till onion paste is golden in color. This would take about 6-7 minutes.
6. Add tomato puree and Stir well. Cook covered for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
7. Add red chili powder, kitchen king masala, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and ground cashews and stir well.
8. Let them cook for 2 minutes.
9. Add water and stir well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
10. Add in Kasuri methi, salt, sugar, garam masala powder, roasted cashews and mix well.
11. Add more water if needed and cook covered again for 5 minutes.
12. Add cashew cream or milk cream and stir well.
13. Cook for another minute and remove from heat. Add ghee and stir well.
14. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with coriander, cream, and cashews.
15. Serve hot with naan or paratha.