for kadai masala
5 to 6 kashmiri red chilies
1.5 tablespoons coriander seeds
3 to 4 tablespoons oil
1 medium to large onion OR 90 grams onions - finely chopped or ⅓ to ½ cup finely chopped onions
2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste
5 to 6 medium tomatoes OR 400 grams tomatoes - finely chopped OR 2.5 to 3 cups finely chopped tomatoes
1 large capsicum - julienned or sliced OR ¾ to 1 cup thinly sliced capsicum (bell pepper)
1 or 2 green chilies - slit
½ cup water OR add as required
½ teaspoon garam masala powder
250 grams paneer - cubed (cottage cheese)
1 teaspoon crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
1 inch ginger, julienne
salt as required
HOW TO MAKE KADAI PANEER
1. in a grinder or mortar-pestle, take 1.5 tablespoons coriander seeds and 5 to 6 kashmiri red chilies.
2. grind to a semi fine powder.
3. in a kadai, heat 2 tablespoons oil.
4. add ⅓ to ½ cup finely chopped onions.
5. saute onions till they turn translucent.
6. then add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste.
7. saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
8. now add 2.5 to 3 cups finely chopped tomatoes.
10. saute tomatoes for 3 to 4 minutes.
11. then add the ground kadai masala to the tomatoes.
12. mix well.
13. saute the tomatoes till the whole mixture become like a paste and starts to leave oil. this method is called ‘bhunao‘ in hindi.
14. now add ¾ to 1 cup capsicum julienne.
15. saute the capsicum for some 3 to 4 minutes.
16. then add green chilies.
17. add ½ cup water. you can add less or more water as required.
18. mix very well and saute till the capsicum is half done. if you want you can cook the capsicum completely.
19. once the capsicum is half cooked, then add garam masala powder and salt. mix these with the rest of the masala.
20. now add the paneer cubes (250 grams).
21. again mix very well.
22. lastly add 1 teaspoon crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves), ginger julienne (from 1 inch ginger) and 2 tablespoons coriander leaves. mix again.
23. serve kadai paneer, hot with rotis or naan or plain parathas or pudina paratha.