We don't want to brag, but as far as vanilla ice cream recipes go, this one is the best. And with only four ingredients, it just might be the easiest, too. No ice cream maker? No problem. Just follow the directions below to learn how to make homemade ice cream by hand.
I'd rather be at home and eat ice cream than go out and get wasted.
- 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Cups Half-and-half Cream
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
Summer would not be summer without Ice-cream.
- Combine all ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar completely. Fill cylinder of ice cream maker no more than two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. (Refrigerate any remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Serve immediately or store in covered containers in the freezer.
Note: For raspberry or strawberry ice cream, substitute 2 cups fresh or frozen berries for 1 cup half-and-half. Puree berries in a blender or food processor; stir into the other ingredients before freezing.
Note: To prepare recipe without an ice cream maker, place a 13x9-in. dish in the freezer until cold. Prepare cream mixture as directed; transfer to prepared dish. Freeze until edges of mixture begin to set, 20-30 minutes. Using a hand mixer, beat mixture until smooth. Freeze, covered, until firm, about 3 hours longer, beating again every 30 minutes.
Test Kitchen Tips
- To create a luscious treat that’s rich in antioxidants, add some finely chopped dark chocolate to the ice cream.
- You can make a similar recipe in a coffee can.
1/2 cup: 308 calories, 22g fat (14g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 37mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.