About Punjabi Chole Bhature Recipe:
The quintessential North Indian dish, relished by one and all can now be easily cooked at home. Straight from a Punjabi kitchen - hot and delicious, chole bhature!
Learn the art of making feather-soft bhaturas served with chole or chickpeas cooked in a pool of rustic spices.
Ingredients of Punjabi Style Chole Bhature: Recipe Servings 4
- Prep Time 15 mins
- Cook Time1 hr 05 mins
- Total Time1 hr 20 mins
- Difficulty Level Medium
With a host of spices cooked together with chickpeas such as bay leaf, cinnamon, cumin seeds, cloves, whole peppercorns, green and black cardamom, we are sure you wouldn't be able to resist cooking this recipe again and again along with crispy, hot bhaturas.
- 2 Cup chickpeas (channas)
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 Bbay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 Cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 3-4 cloves (laung)
- 1 tsp Whole peppercorns (sabut kali mirch)
- 3 Green cardamom (choti elaichi)
- 2 Black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp Chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 tsp Coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
- 1 tsp Cumin powder (zeera powder)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds (zeera)
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida (heeng)
- To taste salt
- 1 cup Onions, chopped
- 1 cup Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp Ajwain
- 1 tsp Lime juice
- 1 green Chili, chopped
- 1 Tea Bag
- 1 tbsp Butter
For the bhaturas:
- 2 Cups maida (refined flour)
- 1/2 tsp yeast (dissolved for 10 minutes in lukewarm water)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- A pinch of salt
- Water (to knead)
- Oil (for frying)
Prepare chole: How to Make Chole Bhature
- In a pan add oil, bay leaf, cinnamon, cumin seeds, cloves, whole peppercorns, green and black cardamom.
- After it gets brown add chopped onions and saute it. Now add chopped ginger and garlic.
- Followed by turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, asafoetida, and salt, fry the ingredients together well.
- For deglazing the pan add a little water.
- Now add the chole (soaked overnight and pressure cooked) to the masala.
- After stirring well add tomatoes, little sugar, and salt to the chole.
- Now add ajwain, chopped green chilies, and water for the base.
- To get the color in the chole, add a teabag to the masala.
- Simmer the chole gently for an hour and cover it.
- Add lime juice and a dollop of butter to it.
- Garnish the chole with coriander and butter and serve them hot with bhaturas.
Prepare the bhaturas:
- Knead the whole wheat flour, maida and salt together with the adequate amount of water.
- Sprinkle the yeast on top. Leave it for 2-3 hours for the yeast to work.
- Divide it into equal portions. Roll out in an oval or round shape.
- Rochester Epidemiology Project to vascular endothelial pathophysiology.
- Deep fry till golden browns, like a puri.